Writing Assignments

Advertising Photography.

Proposal: I am representing Savon Pastures and the product is hand soap. The target audience is mainly adults or parents since they buy soap for their household, but it can also be for those who like natural ingredients like honey, in their products. I would expect to see this advertisement in a variety of stores from local Walgreens to larger stores that sell household products like Target. I used my phone camera and I used soft window lighting to make it look professional, and I used water to have contrast between the background and the product. 

Three ads that inspire me are: 

Jump Start Your Photography.

Some of the tips that I would do would probably be to join a photo walk and to look at popular photoblogs because I think these are great ways to learn new tips for photographing or even editing from other people and experiences. I would also consider taking on a photo-a-day project because I have never done everything like that, and I think it would be a great way to push myself to photograph better. I would also read an art magazine and take on a photo assignment challenge because I usually already do this for inspiration and sometimes, I learn to do things I that I would have never tried through these assignments. Some other tips that I thought were interesting would be to shoot my family or an interesting subject because it is hard to go out and photograph with the pandemic, so it is important to be creative. I also wanted to try to photograph 360 because I do try to photograph things from different angles, but I never try turning around or looking above which I will definitely try. Some things I have never considered but now I would, is to listen to my favorite music and looking through CD covers and trying to make an image that represents them. All of these would challenge me to be more creative and help me improve in many ways. 

Social Media Trends for 2021.

1. The first trend is to show my audience a “reel” of my brand personality with a short video. This is important and applies to my brand because this is one way that I can show off my photography work to gain clients and a job, while keeping up with the new generation of entertainment.  

2. The second trend consists of considering old trends so that a variety of clients of all ages will still be interested in my brand. This means it is important to still make long and informative videos that have good lighting, sound quality, editing, and content so that my brand can be at its best. 

3. The third trend consists of sharing content through “stories” which are temporary but are trending and can help the audience see the more personal side of my brand and improve their observing experience. 

4. The fourth trend includes virtual events like live videos on social platforms to connect to the audience, especially during the pandemic. This is important and applies to my brand because everyone has been impacted by the pandemic and live videos can get a lot of attention to help me expand my brand. 

5. The fifth trend is about using social media to literally market my brand sell my work or services. This is important because many social media apps have updated so that people are able to buy my works or services through those same apps which gives the audience a way to message me and develop loyal customers. 

6. The sixth trend is similar to the other trends but is specifically about sharing informative information on social media. This is important for my brand because I can give tutorials and photography tips so that I can help others and maybe even get more people to notice my brand. 

7. The seventh trend is about the messages we are sending to the audience, but specifically with captions. This is important because the audience should not always have to read long paragraphs but there should be an even amount of short and long messages no matter how important it is. 

8. The eighth trend is about showing the person behind the brand. This is important to my brand because I always try to promote a positive image with my brand and if I show the person behind my brand, the audience can relate better with me and see the positivity I try to portray. 

Broad Museum Collection: Image Critique.

This was my favorite piece of artwork by Julie Mehretu, and it is called Congress. The first reason for it catching my eye is because there is so many things to look at in this one photo. This is really good composition because the lines and swirls are all going towards different directions and keeps you looking at the entire photo. Another thing that caught my eye is probably the color contrast. Because the background is a gray, all the shapes and lines with color stand out even more. Another reason this photo was eye catching to me was the white shape towards the middle that I think is a great focal point so that it doesn’t just seem like random shapes everywhere, but there is an actual pattern. Also, the fact that there are black strokes or even smudges that keep me wondering what it is, and its purpose keeps me looking at this photo. The last important thing that caught my eye was the name of this piece which is Congress. One of the meanings might be that Congress and even politics as a whole is never simple and disorganized.

Congress by Julie Julie Mehretu.

Photography Job Hunting on Indeed.

I think one job that I would be interested in would be a Seasonal School portrait photographer for Adams Photography Inc. in Chino. I chose this job because I enjoy taking portraits of people and I wanted something that is not too far from my house. It is also good for me because it is a part time job, and I can still attend college at the same time. A few of the benefits from this job is that my mileage is paid for me and that there is a high chance of being rehired. The hours vary and there are multiple locations for different schools, but I think this would be a good opportunity to get experience photographing people and to see what a variety of employers would expect from me as an employee. 

Another job I would be interested in would be a Taylor-Made Deep Creek Vacations and Sales photographer in Maryland. This would be a job for me in the future because I would have to move to Maryland, have my own car, and have a high school diploma. I think this would be a good job for me because I love the cold and being outdoors. This full-time job starts at $17 dollars an hour and has many benefits like a retirement plan, dental and health insurance, and paid time off. I think I would enjoy photographing and visiting many beautiful places since they are vacation oriented locations. 

Review of 2 articles on Canon Lens Experience.

Landscape Photographer Peter Tellone. I chose this online article mainly because the featured image caught my eye. His photography is very inspiring because they are only amazing photos, but they are edited so well. I also think that it is important how much time and effort he puts in to make sure he gets the best image possible. I also noticed that although his photos are all landscapes, they all have unique qualities from the color tones to the angles to the lighting. This inspires me to take more risks when photographing and to always try something new. 

Aerial Photographer Jim Wark. I chose this online article because I did not know what aerial photography was, but as soon as I saw the photographs, I knew that I wanted to learn more about it. Although I personally would never choose this to be a job because of my fear of heights, his photographs are very fascinating. Some of his photographs are so well edited with good composition that I thought they were paintings. This caught my eye and kept me looking and analyzing his photos. I also think it is important to note how he found two things that he enjoys doing, flying and photography, and making it into his profession. This has inspired me to consider photography as a profession, especially if I can incorporate it with something else I enjoy doing. 

My Favorite Photo from 100 Most Influential List.

My favorite image.

This is one of the most impactful images to me, mainly because it immediately caught my eye. I expected this image to be a famous movie stunt or something, but the story behind this image is actually very sad and I did not expect it to be such a negative photo. This photo was taken as the twin towers were attacked and this man had jumped out of the building to try and escape the falling buildings. There were actually multiple shots taken of this man, but in this photo, the man is right between both buildings and seems to be posing. 

This photo had such a strong impact on me because 9/11 was a very sad time and it is unfortunate that this man jumped out of a building as a last resort to save his life. It caught my eye because of the vertical lines and because the subject was perfectly in between the buildings. Richard Drew photographed this during the incident and was one of the few images during this event that actually showed someone dying. Considering most of the images taken during this time were the buildings, this image had an impact on not only me, but everyone who has seen it and knows this story. 

Sandy Skoglund Critique.

I really enjoyed looking through all of Sandy Skoglund, but the one below is one of my favorites. Not only does she always have good color contrast, but her photos all have good composition and are very creative. I also love the creative names that she gives each of her image and I think it is important to note how much time and effort she put into setting up her images. 

Sandy Skoglund, The Wedding, 1994 · SFMOMA

Wassily Kandinsky Critique.

I really enjoyed looking at Wassily Kandinsky’s work because they are all so different but have sort of the same aesthetic. I also love the color and shape contrast which really catches the eye. This was one of my favorites of his works and mine is greatly inspired by his use of overlapping circles, lines and the differences in opacities, that I think are the most impactful in his works. 

Read and Reflect: Why is Photography Important to me.

Photography is important to me for many reasons, but the main reason is to remember important moments in life. I love looking back at old photos that each have an important memory attached to them. I also believe that each photo has a different story to tell and it’s unique for every person which is why it is good to not only take but explore different types of photography. Usually with photography I like to have a variety of subjects so that I always have something new, which inspires me to travel more and gain new experiences. 

Photography is not only important to me but can be used spread awareness of a new type of science, event in history or any issue just through a photograph itself. Along with helping spread awareness, photography can be a good source of income. Not only can you go into photography as a full-time job but if someone had their own business, photography would be a good way to promote it. This is why I think that photography is not only a type of art, but it is another way to express myself and what I love. 

Critique of Silver List Photographers.

Ka-Man TSE. I was drawn to this photographer because the featured picture looks like it is broken into different pieces of the same photo, while still including the most important parts of the photo itself. This made me very curious to see the rest of their photography.  

The way their site is set up, could be different considering their first few photos are not very eye-catching, but I continued to scroll, and I enjoyed their artwork very much. Some images are simple, and some are complex, but they all have the same type of aesthetic which is very appealing and what I enjoy about this photographer. Some photos have a shallow depth of field and others had a wide depth of field and it was used appropriately. To improve their site, I would suggest making the site more interactive by maybe having one photo lead to a specific album of photos or maybe adding a name to their photos so it tells a story. Overall, I think the photography is amazing. There is good composition and color contrast which appeals to me very much. 

Photo by Ka-Man Tse.
This was one of my favorite photos because although there is a wide depth of field, I can tell that the focus is on the girl in the center. The photo is very simple, but I think it tells a story and really makes you think about what was happening while the picture was being taken. 

RaMell Ross. I was drawn to this photographer because the featured image was very unusual, considering it’s not normal to see a child relaxing in the space between the car and its tire. I was curious to see what type of photos this photographer would take, and I was not disappointed. 

Their site is well organized, and I like that it is not just a group of photos but there are albums that have many photos within them. I also like that the photos and the writings are separated so that if you are only interested in just photos or just writings, you won’t have to search for them, they are clearly labeled. The photos seem to be taken in the moment, and well edited. The background always plays a part in telling the story of the image but most of the photos have a pop of color which draws the attention back to the subject which is good composition and I enjoyed it very much. As far as improvements I would suggest that the photographer add more albums since I enjoyed their photography and to maybe try something new or different. Overall, I enjoyed looking at their photography and their site was very interactive. 

Photo by RaMell Ross.
This is one of the several photos that were my favorite. This photo would not have caught my attention without the shallow depth of field and the contrast. This photo looks like it was taken effortlessly and I enjoy the simplicity of the photo itself.

$10,000 B&H Photography Shopping Spree.

I would like to be a nature and landscape photographer so the equipment I would buy includes: 

• $3,889 Canon EOS R5 Mirrorless Digital Camera (Body Only) because there is an updated sensor that has a high ISO option with low noise and there is a good autofocus selection which is good for shooting nature with a shallow depth of field. 
  • $2,099 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM Lens because there is a good auto focus and manual focus options, it is also weather and smudge proof, the telephoto lens is also good for landscapes, and it works well in low-light conditions which is good for photographing nature and landscapes. 
  • $349.95 Peak Design Aluminum Travel Tripod because it is good for photographing landscapes and aluminum is more durable than the carbon fiber tripods. 
  • $199.99 Tamrac Professional Series: Anvil Super 25 Backpack for DSLR & 600mm because if I am photographing landscapes and nature, I would need to carry my equipment and I think a backpack is the best way to do that. 
  • $1,599 Canon EOS 90D DSLR Camera with 18-135mm Lens and Software Kit because I would like to have a back-up camera and it is weatherproof, touch screen, and comes with a memory card already. 
  • $67.00 Canon LP-E6N Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (7.2V, 1865mAh) because I would like to have back-up batteries incase my camera has a low battery while I was shooting. 
  • $19.99 Vello Three-Axis Hot-Shoe Bubble Level for Standard 35mm SLR Cameras because I usually slant when I take photos, and this would help so I wouldn’t have to crop them when editing. 
  • $7.95 Vello RS-N2II Wired Remote Switch for Select Nikon DC-2 Cameras in case I need to take a picture with a very low shutter speed so there would be no risk of shaking the camera and ruining the photo. 
  • $749.00Lenovo 15.6″ IdeaPad 5 Laptop with 1-Year Onsite Premium Care (Graphite Gray) so that I can have somewhere to edit and hold my pictures.  
  • $99.99 Adobe Photoshop Elements & Premiere Elements 2021 (Download, Windows) so that I can have editing software and make my photos look as best as possible. 
  • $99.99 Sony 64GB G Series XQD Memory Card because it is durable and has a 64 GB storage capacity. Maybe 3-5 of these to have multiple ways of storing photos. 
  • $23.95 Raya 5-in-1 Collapsible Reflector Disc (42″) in case I need more light in a certain part of the photo in any place. 
  • $449.95 Lens baby Velvet 56mm f/1.6 Lens for Canon EF (Black) in case I wanted to take a different type of picture and add a glow to either a nature or even portrait picture.  
  • $78.99 Neewer NW670 TTL Flash for Canon Cameras with FC-16 Trigger & Accessories Kit just in case I might need flash, not specifically for nature but in general. 

Read and Reflect.

I think that becoming a professional photographer would be a great job to have because not only can you be creative , but it can also branch out into other fields of work. There are a variety of photography to chose from like nature, portraits, landscape, freelance photography, etc. which I like because there is so much to chose from. The equipment needed to become a professional photographer is also widely available, so photography is very popular and current and there are most likely going to be more jobs available. It would also be a good job for me because I would love to be my own boss, especially to have control over the hours I worked and how I display my business. Although controlling hours and running a business on my own can lead to slacking off, I think I would stay motivated and push for my business to grow.